Thursday, December 27, 2007

Post-Yule Fatigue

I do hope you all had an enjoyable Christmas season, but I must say it seemed to fly by awfully fast this year. I didn't even get a chance to sit down and enjoy my annual ritual (for the past two years at least) of watching the 1974 classic Black Christmas on DVD. And as always, there's that somewhat unpleasant letdown that begins on December 26th, when the natural high of opening gifts has left, when the food is gone from the plate and now lives on forever hanging over the sides of your britches, and you still have to make it through the single most depressing holiday ever invented by man - New Years. Ah yes, a holiday devoted to the passing away of one of the precious few years of life you'll have here on earth, celebrated at the darkest, coldest time on the calendar. Although I guess 'New Years' is a better title than 'Suicide Week'. I've always suspected that the actual date of New Years was originally August 14th before being changed by lobbyists for the liquor industry. But the biggest cause of depression this time of year is the knowledge that you're now going to have to put away all 17,000 decorations that you've used to make your house look like a North Pole-based theme park. And it was only in the past four days that I even realized I still had rubber shrunken heads hanging on the wall from Halloween. And for those of you who have a cat it's even worse. You'll be finding little dried-up patches of vomit with one lone Christmas tree needle caked in the center for months to come. Cats give too, y'know.
Me personally, I'm just countin' the days until April Fools.

No comments: