Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Evolution - Mach II

You may have seen the story in USA Today earlier this week detailing the increase in speed of human evolution. Well isn't that just great? Now, even evolution refuses to take its own sweet time anymore. Clark Larsen, the chairman of anthropology at Ohio State University, said that his studies have backed up the belief among scientists that there's been "a ton" of biological changes in the human animal just during the past 10,000 years. "It's still going on. Right before our eyes." he declared at the end of the article.
Now, I don't work in the field of science or scientific experimentation, but I did spend some time in a conservative evangelical church as a youngster, so I grew up thinking that I knew more than them anyway. And I can honestly state that I've personally witnessed some intriguing evidence that verifies what Larsen says. For instance, the article mentions that a mere ten thousand years ago, very few humans possessed the gene that allowed them to drink cows milk (I assume it meant allowing them to drink it without vomiting, though the article was rather vague on that point). Likewise, just a short decade ago I was able to watch a movie starring Julia Roberts without feeling severe nausea - but no more.
The speed with which that turnaround happened was pretty incredible, especially when you consider that I'm one of the few people who made it all the way through her early role in 'Satisfaction', musical numbers and all. (I guess I should put 'musical numbers' in little sarcastic quotes too). What happened genetically to bring about that change inside of me? I dunno, but it only magnifies my astonishment at the wonders of nature, evolutionary biology, and the entire big ol' beautiful world around us.
However, I think that Mr. Evolution, like everybody else, needs to slow down on occasion and smell the lovely aroma of the flowers he helped to bloom. Unless he's working on something that just can't wait. Like, making stupidity 100% fatal. Or shrinking that Adam's apple on Ann Coulter.
Although come to think of it, fixing the first one will make the second unnecessary.

No comments: